A Definition Essay Is Much More Than a Dictionary Meaning
A definition essay is one of the many essays that students need to write for their school work. Of course, it is one of the interesting ones as well. The name says it all, in a good definition essay, you need to define, explain and go about stating the facts related to the topic that you have chosen. The facts are always helpful because they give more depth to the topic and the information that you are stating in the essay. Just when you fill in with casual detail, a definition essay does not really remain a definition essay.
The structure of an essay is very important and the same applies to definition essay. For this type of an essay, what you need to remember is that you cannot go in with simple definitions, you need to go ahead and do something more. You need to bring about an approach to your essay, present it in a manner that it helps the reader understand the general definition of the chosen topic and also your point of view as well.
Just like any other essay, for a definition essay, you need to start with an introduction. This part of the essay should state the topic or rather the word that you wish to define in your essay. The information certainly should be gathered based on that word.
Writing this type of an essay could get difficult or trickier when you are unable to progress with it and do not know what to write and what not to. To make this simpler, you should follow the regular structure of an essay that is introduction, body and conclusion. But, when it comes to the body, you should creatively state the facts and information relating to the word that you are defining. You can start off with the history of the word, how it was created. Then, you can jump into the descriptions using that word; bring in the similarities as well as the differences.
Lastly, the conclusion part is where you should keep it as simple as you can. A definition essay is unlike other essays where in you cannot sum up the essay stating your point of view on the relating topic. Here, you have to conclude on a very general note and not making it too personal because it is a definition essay, where you elaborate on the definition of a particular word.
At any point, you are stuck and need some help to allow you to progress further and complete the essay, you can always get in touch with us. Our online writing company has solutions for problems relating to any type of an essay. In fact, we have writers who can certainly do an essay for you for a very cheap price. The kind of writing that we offer is very professional and the writers strive hard to meet all the requirements from our clients end.
Your association with us would never turn out to be a mistake or a disappointment.
In a definition essay, you explain the meaning of a certain term by giving a detailed description of it, and support your definition with clear examples or facts. Such explanations are needed if a term is special, abstract, disputed, or does not have a common meaning. For instance, individuals can interpret the definition of the words ‘freedom’ or ‘abuse’ quite differently.
Steps for Writing a Definition Essay
- Choose a term you want to define, and introduce it to your readers. This can be done in several ways, but your main goal at the outset is to indicate the contents of your paper clearly.
- Use several sources (dictionaries or encyclopedias) to see how the term you have chosen is usually defined. Then, think of a way to combine or merge them to give your own, unique definition.
- Present the term you’ve chosen to your readers in the introductory part of your paper.
- In the main body paragraphs, provide your readers with information about the term. Along with your own description, you can point out some cases in which this term is used, as well as historical information about its origins and the evolution of its use in literature. Also, you can highlight any common mistakes in its definition.
- Think of a couple of sound examples that will fully illustrate and explain your definition.
Definition Essay Topics
There are plenty of terms we use every day. Many of them are clear to almost everybody, but still there is a vast body of abstract or scientific terms that can become a topic of discussion. While all of us know what a phone, TV, or dog is, concepts such as happiness, faith, love, or calmness may be difficult for some people to grasp. Some terms that could be chosen as a topic for your definition essay are listed below:
- Real estate
- Good and evil
Key Points to Consider
- Giving a definition is not just copying what has been written in other dictionaries. If you cannot define a new meaning for some concept on your own, then use the definition that already exists, but give your own interpretation of it.
- Choose terms you understand, or ones that have impacted your own personal experience. Do not try to define a term you don’t understand, or else you will confuse your readers with the wrong explanation.
- You can define a term by explaining its functions, structure, or nature. You can also define the term by specifying what it does not mean, or by comparing it with other members of the same class of words and emphasizing the differences.
- Follow a determined structure. It would be logical to present your term in the introduction, give extended explanations in the main body paragraphs, and end with brief conclusions.
Do and Don’t
Common Mistakes When Writing a Definition Essay
– Trying to define a term that is too broad in scope for the essay.
– Forgetting to emphasize the term that one is defining. In this case, it may be hard for readers to understand what your essay is ultimately about.
– Writing about terms that are well-known and which do not have conflicting interpretations.
– Ignoring the necessity of examples. No matter how detailed and clear your definition is, without concrete examples, it may be difficult for readers to understand how or when a certain term should be used.
– Copying the existing definition word-by-word. Instead, reinterpret the meaning. Do not be afraid to use your own thoughts for a new, unique definition.
Now that you have acquainted yourself with the basic definition essay writing tips and rules, you can check out our definition essay samples to link theory with practice.
Sign up and we’ll send you ebook of 1254 samples like this for free!
- 80+ essay types
- 1000+ essay samples
- Pro writing tips